Posted to xmlrpc-dev@ws.apache.org by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/31 22:49:28 UTC

Announce: Apache XML-RPC 3.0

Hi,

the Apache XML-RPC team is glad to announce the availability of Apache
XML-RPC, version 3. Version 3 is an almost complete rewrite of its
predecessor. Although complying to the XML-RPC specification by default,
it introduces the concept of so-called vendor extensions. Vendor
extensions are available only, if both client and server are using
Apache XML-RPC 3. Available vendor extensions include:

- A streaming mode allows running client and server with a low
   memory profile, regardless of any document size.
- XML-RPC request and response may be compressed using gzip
- Custom data types are supported, in particular null, byte, short,
   long, float, big decimal, big integer, DOM nodes, Serializable
   objects, Calendar

Additionally, support for dynamic client generation is available. In
other words, if the servers methods are implementing an interface, then
the client may create an instance of the same interface, which is
actually invoking the servers methods.

The Apache XML-RPC web site is at:

     http://ws.apache.org/xmlrpc

Apache XML-RPC 3 is available from any Apache mirror:

     http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/ws/xmlrpc

Maven 1 and 2 compliant jar files are available from

     http://repo1.maven.org/maven/xmlrpc
     http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/xmlrpc/

Jochen Wiedmann

Re: Announce: Apache XML-RPC 3.0

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
Good works Jochen

Posted by Jimisola Laursen <li...@jimisola.com>.
> What do you have in mind? :-)

Nothing in particular. 3.0 is a big step-forward already - I'm very happy
with it :)

> I was personally thinking of a rewrite of the serialization and parser
> stuff based on StAX. Of course, this would require lifting the supported
> JDK versions to at least 1.4, or something like that. (Possibly even
> 1.5, so that we could disable warnings in the code.) The obvious
> advantage would be yet another speed improvement: In particular the
> parser would create much fewer objects.

That's sounds like good stuff. Haven't looked up on StAX before, but did
now.
It looks promising (XML handling if Java is/has been to messy). Was not
clear if StAX support validation yet?

> I'd also like to see some archetypes for Maven 2, which would allow to
> set up an XML-RPC project within some minutes.

That would probably be very useful for new-comers. Archetypes for server and
client (regular webserver or servlet webserver etc).

Regards,
Jimisola

Re: Announce: Apache XML-RPC 3.0

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
Jimisola Laursen wrote:

> May I ask what plans you have for XML-RPC now?
> Just bug fixes or is there any thing that you felt would have been nice but
> decided to wait with until after 3.0?

What do you have in mind? :-)

I was personally thinking of a rewrite of the serialization and parser
stuff based on StAX. Of course, this would require lifting the supported
JDK versions to at least 1.4, or something like that. (Possibly even
1.5, so that we could disable warnings in the code.) The obvious
advantage would be yet another speed improvement: In particular the
parser would create much fewer objects.

I'd also like to see some archetypes for Maven 2, which would allow to
set up an XML-RPC project within some minutes.

Jochen

Re: Announce: Apache XML-RPC 3.0

Posted by Jimisola Laursen <li...@jimisola.com>.
Jochen, nice job!

I was just checking Jira since I was wondering if it wasn't time to make a
new release and you just did :)