Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Craig Longman <cr...@begeek.com> on 2002/03/25 17:53:19 UTC

velocity and tomcat

hello there,

i'm sure this must be a faq, and/or covered in the documentation
somewhere, but seeing as i can find neither, i have to ask this.

how does one configure velocity as the handler for certain extensions in
tomcat?

i've got it all installed, i've run the tests, i've some examples in the
existing tomcat4/conf/web.xml file to create entries to process the
files; i used the jsp processor as an example, but why is there nothing
included with velocity to show this?

i'm starting to think that perhaps velocity has no methods for
integrating directly as a template processor in tomcat, but that seems
very strange as all the comparisons compare it directly to other
webserver template engines.

please point me to where i need to go to figure this out, i'm very keen
on using velocity.

thanks,

--

     CraigL->Thx();
     Be Developer ID: 5852

Re: velocity and tomcat

Posted by Jonathan Carlson <jo...@yahoo.com>.
I don't think you want to hook up velocity directly to Tomcat anyways.
 Check out ActionServlet.  (http://dione.zcu.cz/~toman40/ActionServlet/)
 I've been extremely pleased so far with it's clean implementation,
features, documentation, and examples.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Carlson
joncrlsn@users.sf.net

Re: velocity and tomcat

Posted by Craig Longman <cr...@begeek.com>.
On Mon, 2002-03-25 at 11:53, Craig Longman wrote:

> how does one configure velocity as the handler for certain extensions in
> tomcat?

thanks for all the replies.  i had hoped to stay away from too many
other projects in order to use velocity, based on the examples it had
seemed easy to use.  but when you factor in tomcat, struts/turbine it
seems that the difficult part is no longer writing code, its wading
through dozens of bloated, difficult to understand xml config files.  it
is bizarre how complicated things have gotten since the old JServ days.
two days now, and i'm still just trying to get the basic examples to
work.  i think its time to go back to what worked.

--

     CraigL->Thx();
     Be Developer ID: 5852