Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by Jens Zurawski <jz...@diegurus.de> on 2023/11/01 09:46:16 UTC

Re: Health of this project -- should we keep going?

Because I'm new to the list since some days and stumbled across this
thread in the archives, I'm hijacking this mail to generally answer to
this thread (sorry Bart ;-) )

I'm loving TomEE. It's exactly the type of application server I need and
want. Lightweight, fast, small footprint, easy installation and yet
still powerful and feature rich. I'm relative new to it (as to JSF
overall), since about 2-3 years now, but already don't want to miss it.
Therefore I was somehow shocked to read this thread. My "new love" lacks
of contribution and may be given up?

Very bad news, and I'm willing to do what I can do to prevent this. But
I'm not sure about the value of my possible contributions. I'm far from
being a JSF/EE crack (still learning by doing). I have some good general
Java coding/development skills (~20 years of experience in SE and JSP)
and I'm not too bad in analysing and optimizing things (my goal in
development is to always try to make good software, not only bug-free).
I'm able to develop some decent JSF applications but in the jungle of EE
specifications I'm a bit lost at times.... Of course this should improve
over time.

So, if this is enough to start contributing to TomEE, I'm happy to offer
some capacities of mine. As this would be my first open source project
to contribute, I will need some help in the beginning because I'm not
too familiar with the customs in OS communities. Just give me some
advise to how and/or where to start.

As I'm self-employed, my available time for the project will be a bit
discontinuous and depend on my customers and running projects/deadlines.
But I will have spare times, when I will have some capacities for the
project and, of course, I would try to only commit to tasks I'm able to
fulfil time-wise.

cu
Jens