Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/29 00:10:48 UTC

multiple issue trackers - apache jira, github callback, etc

On the issue gardening call today (notes here:
https://gist.github.com/1401833 ), the issue of multiple issue
trackers came up.  Here are some of the notes.

> We do not want to force users to use JIRA, because they will simply stop logging issues

It's not difficult to create an apache jira account that you can use
to post bugs, is it?  Personally, I've never considered it a hurdle to
have accounts open all over source repos on the web - apache, eclipse,
github, webkit, mozilla, etc.

> So, our maintainers will take on the responsibility of mirroring GitHub issues on JIRA. This includes comments.

"This includes comments" seems totally unreasonable.  More reasonable
would be leaving GitHub issue trackers open, and when a new issue is
posted, do the following:

- opening a corresponding tracker on Jira
- post a link to that tracker in the GitHub issue, and then close the issue

People will quickly learn that it's less work to open an issue at Jira
than at GitHub.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org

Re: multiple issue trackers - apache jira, github callback, etc

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 1:49 AM, Shazron <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> An update: I contacted Github about whether it is possible to have the
> Github issue tracker "read-only" and this was the reply:
>
> "That's not possible currently, the issue track is either enabled and
> read-write or completely disabled and hidden."
>
> So, links to closed issues will 404 unfortunately...

That's an interesting example of the downsides of having important
project information stored on systems than we don't control - it would
be good for the project to make that tracker read-only, it's not
possible and there's nothing we can do about it.

It would be interesting to see if they allow you to make a copy of
those issues' pages and serve that copy from an ASF server, as a
read-only archive. In other words, is the content yours or theirs?

-Bertrand

Re: multiple issue trackers - apache jira, github callback, etc

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
An update: I contacted Github about whether it is possible to have the
Github issue tracker "read-only" and this was the reply:

"That's not possible currently, the issue track is either enabled and
read-write or completely disabled and hidden."

So, links to closed issues will 404 unfortunately. For issues that
were still open, on the iOS issues I did put a reference to the old
link for some search engine juice...

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
The Github comments api example in there only shows the first 30
comments (30 comments per page). To show the next page etc, add a
query variable "?page=2"

I've got an issue with 99 comments, yikes

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
My attachment might have been filtered because it was html+js - the
html file is at:
https://gist.github.com/1402802

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Johnson <da...@gmail.com>.
If we could somehow use an Enterprise Github server at apache then
maybe we could get off of jira ...

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 12:27 AM, Gord Tanner <go...@tinyhippos.com> wrote:
> Is this an absolute requirement to use JIRA?

It's not. There are some Apache projects that for historical reasons
have been using issue trackers outside Apache, but the general
preference is for all important project work to happen on
infrastructure controlled by the ASF.

One good reason behind this is to avoid nasty surprises like an
external service provider starting to serve adds to, charge money
from, or sell personal details of our contributors.

That said, the case for good integration between the issue tracker and
version control is strong. There's ongoing work (for example, see [1])
to bring better Git integration to Jira, though it's obviously a long
way to catch up with GitHub in this area. And yes, among other options
there has also been talk about Apache hosting our own GitHub
Enterprise backend.

Anyway, to summarize: Our goal should be to have issues tracked on
infrastructure over which we have either direct or at least clear
contractual control. The question then is how we make that happen in a
way that works best for the community and can reasonably be supported
by the infrastructure team (which, BTW, can and should include also a
volunteer or two from Callback/Cordova).

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: multiple issue trackers - apache jira, github callback, etc

Posted by Ken Wallis <kw...@rim.com>.

--
Gord Tanner
Senior Developer / Code Poet

Re: multiple issue trackers - apache jira, github callback, etc

Posted by Gord Tanner <go...@tinyhippos.com>.

--
Gord Tanner
Senior Developer / Code Poet

Re: multiple issue trackers - apache jira, github callback, etc

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
>> So, our maintainers will take on the responsibility of mirroring GitHub
>>issues on JIRA. This includes comments.
>
>"This includes comments" seems totally unreasonable.  More reasonable
>would be leaving GitHub issue trackers open, and when a new issue is
>posted, do the following:
>
>- opening a corresponding tracker on Jira
>- post a link to that tracker in the GitHub issue, and then close the
>issue

+1