Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Johnny Jones <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2004/12/02 01:57:45 UTC

Re: mod_proxy needs more documentation

Hi,

Thank you very much for the tips.

I am a little confuse about what I exactly that I have to do to set up
domain name of the publication in lenya.  In the last email that you sent
me, you said that we don't need the RewriteEngine, so does that mean I
should ignore the document from Apache wiki called "HowToModProxy" since
that document used RewriteEngine to set up rules for live server?

My second question is what exactly that I have to do to give the domain name
for each of the publication that I created in lenya?  For example, if I
created a new publication in lenya called
'sandbox", what kind of confuguration that I have make so that each time I
enter www.mysite1.com, it will show me the live server page for the sandbox
publication.  The reason I asked this is beca
use after reading the documents from "HowToModProxy" and
"http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya/sandbox/mod_lenya/README.txt ", and I
still not sure how the domain names of the publication live server are being
declared.   Base on your last response, you told me to follow instructions
from h"ttp://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya/sandbox/mod_lenya/README.txt"
and ignore the mod_lenya part.  Thus, is is what I added to my httpd.conf
file:

<VirtualHost 192.168.0.18>
        ProxyPass /cgi-bin/ !

        ProxyPass /lenya/sandbox/live/css/ !
        ProxyPass /lenya/sandbox/live/images/ !

        ProxyPass / http://127.0.0.1:8080/sandbox/live/
        ProxyPassReverse / http://127.0.0.1:8080/sandboxlive/
</VirtualHost>

Since you told me to ignore the mod_lenya,  I took aways the part that said
"LoadModule lenya_module.so" and the part with "<IfModule
mod_lenya.c>....</IfModule>"

Can you tell me what else that I have to configure in the httpd.conf file in
order to suscessfuly set up the domain name of the publications?  It seems
to me that I should give a domain name for sa
ndbox some where, but I cannot find any document telling me how to do that?

Thanks for your help!

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Jann Forrer wrote:

>Good idea. This will probably avoid some confusion concerning the
>appropriate setup using mod_proxy. I can update "HowToModProxy" as soon
>as i am at home connecte to the internet again ;-)

thanks a lot for your help on this

Michi

>Jann

>Jann Forrer
>Informatikdienste
>Universität Zürich
>Winterthurerstr. 190
>CH-8057 Zuerich
>
>oooO   mail:  jann.forrer@id.unizh.ch
>(  )   phone: +41 1 63 56772
> \ (   fax:   +41 1 63 54505
>  \_)  http://www.id.unizh.ch

Michael Wechner

Re: mod_proxy needs more documentation

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Jann Forrer wrote:

>On the other hand if you have to setup a site which is completely in the
>CMS and different vitual host you should use Michi's proposal and forget
>about "HowToModProxy".r

Maybe we can differentiate between the two usecases on the Wiki page, such
that it is clearer for other people, e.g.

How to mod_proxy in case A ...

How to mod_proxy in case B ...

WDYT?

Michi

>[ ... ]
>
>Jann

>Jann Forrer
>Informatikdienste
>Universität Zürich
>Winterthurerstr. 190
>CH-8057 Zuerich
>
>oooO   mail:  jann.forrer@id.unizh.ch
>(  )   phone: +41 1 63 56772
> \ (   fax:   +41 1 63 54505
>  \_)  http://www.id.unizh.ch

Michael Wechner

Re: mod_proxy needs more documentation

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.
On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Michael Wechner wrote:

> Johnny Jones wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thank you very much for the tips.
> >
> > I am a little confuse about what I exactly that I have to do to set up
> > domain name of the publication in lenya. In the last email that you
> > sent me, you said that we don't need the RewriteEngine, so does that
> > mean I should ignore the document from Apache wiki called
> > "HowToModProxy" since that document used RewriteEngine to set up rules
> > for live server?
>

> personally I would, because for the default publication it's not really
> necessary or at least not that I know

The "HowToModProxy" is written for the following setup:

- Authoring Server: Different publications unsing only one vitual host as
  e.g. http://cms.unizh.ch/<pubName>
- Liver Server: For a, let's say mixed environment, where
   certain page can not be integrated into the CMS as php Applications.
   This is often necessary if you want to migrate existing sites into the
   CMS.

If you have a similar setup you can not ignore "HowToModProxy" but adapt
it to your need.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Johnny Jones wrote:

> VirtualServer within httpd.conf.  However, when I restart apache, I
> recieved a syntax error saying that "VirtualServer" is a invalid
> command.  I am not sure if I suppose to do this, but I changed
> "VirtualServer" to "VirtualHost" and my httpd.conf.

sorry for the typo

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: mod_proxy needs more documentation

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Johnny Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> this means that these "URLs" are not being forwarded by mod_proxy, which
>> means httpd will try to look them up within your htdocs directory.
>>
>> You might want to create a "softlink" from there to the actual Lenya
>> directories.
>>

> Thanks for the tip. However, I am not sure what a "softlink" is.

in the case of Linux/UNIX:

ln -s actual_directory shortcut_directory

the actual_directory would be for instance

lenya/pubs/MY-PUB/resources/images/...

and the shortcut_directory would be

httpd-2.0.52/htdocs/lenya/MY-PUB/images

HTH

Michi

> In the following config, what would a softlink look like (please
> insert example text and I will play with actual directories/paths on
> the server)?
>
> NameVirtualHost 192.168.0.18:80
>
> <VirtualHost 192.168.0.18:80>
> ServerName www.sandbox.com
> ProxyPass / http://192.168.0.18:8080/lenya/sandbox/live/
> ProxyPassReverse / http://192.168.0.18:8080/lenya/sandbox/live/
>
> EXAMPLE_TEXT
>
> </VirtualHost>

Michael Wechner

Re: mod_proxy needs more documentation

Posted by Johnny Jones <ja...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Johnny Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>

>> Why doesn't the virtual host lines I used for www.sandbox.com include
>> the stylesheet?
>> Why doesn't the virtual host lines I used for www.sandbox1.com keep
>> the url as the domain?
>> Once I figure this out, how do I get the url to not include
>> index.html or session information?
>

> I suspect that the css is not included on the page rendered at
> www.sandbox.com in the example in my previous post because of a
> missing lines like the ones in the readme.txt for mod_lenya:
>
> ProxyPass /cgi-bin/ !
> ProxyPass /lenya/sandbox/live/css/ !
> ProxyPass /lenya/sandbox/live/images/ !

this means that these "URLs" are not being forwarded by mod_proxy, which
means httpd will try to look them up within your htdocs directory.

You might want to create a "softlink" from there to the actual Lenya
directories.

> How do I fix the index.html and session information problem?

I think there had been some threads on this, but I am not sure if it
actually got resolved. The reason why the Wyona site doesn't show such a
session ID is because it's using mod_lenya, which means in the case of
the "very first" request the session ID shows up, but for all the others
it will be served just as a static file.

Michi

> Hopefully my questions will provide some insight for Jann regarding a
> newbie's experience with mod_proxy and lenya.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Johnny

Michael Wechner

Re: mod_proxy needs more documentation

Posted by Johnny Jones <ja...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

>Why doesn't the virtual host lines I used for www.sandbox.com include the
>stylesheet?
>Why doesn't the virtual host lines I used for www.sandbox1.com keep the url
>as the domain?
>Once I figure this out, how do I get the url to not include index.html or
>session information?

I suspect that the css is not included on the page rendered at
www.sandbox.com in the example in my previous post because of a missing
lines like the ones in the readme.txt for mod_lenya:

ProxyPass /cgi-bin/ !
ProxyPass /lenya/sandbox/live/css/ !
ProxyPass /lenya/sandbox/live/images/ !

How should I use lines like this in the VitualHost config I mentioned:

NameVirtualHost 192.168.0.18:80

<VirtualHost 192.168.0.18:80>
ServerName www.sandbox.com
ProxyPass / http://192.168.0.18:8080/lenya/sandbox/live/
ProxyPassReverse / http://192.168.0.18:8080/lenya/sandbox/live/
</VirtualHost>

Will those lines fix the css and images problem?

Posted by Johnny Jones <ja...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

><VirtualServer IP_ADDRESS_OF_PHYSICAL_SERVER>
>ServerName foo.bar1.com
>ProxyPass / http://127.0.0.1:8080/lenya/foobar1/live/
>ProxyPassReverse / http://127.0.0.1:8080/lenya/foobar1/live/
></VirtualHost>
>
><VirtualServer IP_ADDRESS_OF_PHYSICAL_SERVER>
>ServerName foo.bar2.com
>ProxyPass / http://127.0.0.1:8080/lenya/foobar2/live/
>ProxyPassReverse / http://127.0.0.1:8080/lenya/foobar2/live/
></VirtualHost>
>

>is that what you mean?

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your the tips that you gave me on the last email.

However, I am hoping that you could help me out with a few more minor
problem that I am facing right now. After receiving the email from you, I
entered the exact same thing that you wrote in your email about gving domain
name for each VirtualServer within httpd.conf.  However, when I restart
apache, I
recieved a syntax error saying that "VirtualServer" is a invalid command.  I
am not sure if I suppose to do this, but I changed "VirtualServer" to
"VirtualHost" and my httpd.conf.  I also received
a warning saying that VirtualHost 192.168.1.56:0 overlaps with VirtualHost
192.168.1.16:0, so I added "NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.56:80" to httpd.conf
and add ":80" next to my IP_ADDRESS_OF_PHYSICAL_SERVER.  Thus my httpd.conf
looks like this:

NameVirtualHost 192.168.0.18:80

<VirtualHost 192.168.0.18:80>
ServerName www.sandbox.com
ProxyPass / http://192.168.0.18:8080/lenya/sandbox/live/
ProxyPassReverse / http://192.168.0.18:8080/lenya/sandbox/live/
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 192.168.0.18:80>
ServerName www.sandbox1.com
ProxyPass / http://192.168.0.18:8080/lenya/sandbox1/live/
#ProxyPassReverse / http://192.168.0.18:8080/lenya/sandbox1/live/
</VirtualHost>

Now when I enter a url like www.sandbox.com into my browser I see a page
that has the xml content and some html tables from page2xhtml.xsl but it is
not including the stylesheet info even though I restarted my servlet
container and apache.

However, if I try www.sandbox1.com in my browser this is different because
for testing purposes I commented out the ProxyPassReverse line.  With the
ProxyPassReverse line commented out I see the correct page that has the xml
content, html, and style sheet *but* the url in the browser is
192.168.0.18:8080/lenya/sandbox1/live/  where www.sandbox1.com should be.

In both cases, the url ends with index.html;jsessionid=<sessionid> whereas
on sites like http://wyona.com/ there is no session information or
index.html just simply http://www.wyona.com/.

Why doesn't the virtual host lines I used for www.sandbox.com include the
stylesheet?
Why doesn't the virtual host lines I used for www.sandbox1.com keep the url
as the domain?
Once I figure this out, how do I get the url to not include index.html or
session information?

Again, thanks for your help!
Johnny

Re: mod_proxy needs more documentation

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Johnny Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you very much for the tips.
>
> I am a little confuse about what I exactly that I have to do to set up
> domain name of the publication in lenya. In the last email that you
> sent me, you said that we don't need the RewriteEngine, so does that
> mean I should ignore the document from Apache wiki called
> "HowToModProxy" since that document used RewriteEngine to set up rules
> for live server?

personally I would, because for the default publication it's not really
necessary or at least not that I know

> My second question is what exactly that I have to do to give the
> domain name for each of the publication that I created in lenya?

use for each domain name a VirtualServer within httpd.conf, or do I
misunderstand you?

> For example, if I created a new publication in lenya called
> 'sandbox", what kind of confuguration that I have make so that each
> time I enter www.mysite1.com, it will show me the live server page for
> the sandbox publication. The reason I asked this is beca
> use after reading the documents from "HowToModProxy" and
> "http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya/sandbox/mod_lenya/README.txt ",
> and I still not sure how the domain names of the publication live
> server are being declared.

e.g.

<VirtualServer IP_ADDRESS_OF_PHYSICAL_SERVER>
ServerName foo.bar1.com
ProxyPass / http://127.0.0.1:8080/lenya/foobar1/live/
ProxyPassReverse / http://127.0.0.1:8080/lenya/foobar1/live/
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualServer IP_ADDRESS_OF_PHYSICAL_SERVER>
ServerName foo.bar2.com
ProxyPass / http://127.0.0.1:8080/lenya/foobar2/live/
ProxyPassReverse / http://127.0.0.1:8080/lenya/foobar2/live/
</VirtualHost>

is that what you mean?

> Base on your last response, you told me to follow instructions from
> h"ttp://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya/sandbox/mod_lenya/README.txt"
> and ignore the mod_lenya part. Thus, is is what I added to my
> httpd.conf file:
>
> <VirtualHost 192.168.0.18>
> ProxyPass /cgi-bin/ !
>
> ProxyPass /lenya/sandbox/live/css/ !
> ProxyPass /lenya/sandbox/live/images/ !
>
> ProxyPass / http://127.0.0.1:8080/sandbox/live/
> ProxyPassReverse / http://127.0.0.1:8080/sandboxlive/
> </VirtualHost>
>
> Since you told me to ignore the mod_lenya, I took aways the part that
> said "LoadModule lenya_module.so" and the part with "<IfModule
> mod_lenya.c>....</IfModule>"

correct, because mod_lenya is only responsible for caching

> Can you tell me what else that I have to configure in the httpd.conf
> file in order to suscessfuly set up the domain name of the publications?

that should be, whereas if you don't forward the requests for CSS and
images, then you need to make a softlink of course within your Apache
htdocs directory, e.g.

images ->
/home/USERNAME/build/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24-LE-jdk14/webapps/lenya/lenya/pubs/MY_PUB/resources/shared/images

> It seems to me that I should give a domain name for sa
> ndbox some where, but I cannot find any document telling me how to do
> that?

right, within the VirtualServer as mentioned above.

HTH

Michi