Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Doug Whitfield <dw...@perforce.com> on 2022/03/07 22:05:17 UTC

Artemis tutorial?

Hi folks,

It’s been about 6.5 years since the HornetQ donation, so not sure HornetQ tutorials are relevant (should they exist). I haven’t been able to find much in the way of Artemis tutorials. I did find one from Config Java Tech (don’t want to be spammy, but can share if others are curious), and obviously, there is the documentation.

Just wondering if there is something out there I have missed.

Best Regards,
--

Doug Whitfield | Enterprise Architect, OpenLogic

This e-mail may contain information that is privileged or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the e-mail and any attachments and notify us immediately.

Re: Artemis tutorial?

Posted by Christopher Pisz <ch...@gmail.com>.
Oh snap.I got my Activemq and GRPC mailing lists confused. I apologize. I
have low blood sugar and should just get off the computer.

Re: Artemis tutorial?

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.

Re: Artemis tutorial?

Posted by Christopher Pisz <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: Artemis tutorial?

Posted by Doug Whitfield <dw...@perforce.com>.
All valid points, but just to be clear I’m not asking anyone to create one. I’m just asking if anyone knows of anything that exists. It seems like the answer is no, so docs it is!

From: Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>
Date: Monday, March 7, 2022 at 20:40
To: users@activemq.apache.org <us...@activemq.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Artemis tutorial?
> What I am looking for is a start-to-finish audio or video tutorial.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't know of anybody who has comprehensive
video or audio resources on ActiveMQ. I've considered investing some time
in video resources, but there's a handful of things working against video
vs. traditional text documentation.

 - Videos take longer to produce. Writing good scripts is hard. Making
mistakes has a much higher time penalty.
 - Videos are more expensive to produce. At the very least you need a good
mic, good screen capture software, and a quiet room.
 - Videos are not searchable like text documentation. This is a really big
deal with technical material. Folks don't want to waste time with stuff
they don't care about. They want to get the info they need and move on.
 - Videos tend to visibly age more rapidly than text. In most cases, videos
on Youtube even from just a few years look markedly worse than new ones.
 - Videos are harder to edit over time. When important changes happen in
later releases you must update the video somehow or recreate it from
scratch. We're not presenting the fundamentals of algebra that haven't
changed in centuries.
 - It's tough to know the level of detail your audience wants. Too much
detail wastes people's time. Not enough detail means they'll have to read
the documentation anyway.

In my opinion the return isn't sufficient to justify the investment. I
write code for a living. I'm sure there's folks out there who do this kind
of stuff for a living or as a hobby where the investment would be much
lower.

Hope that helps!

Justin

Re: Artemis tutorial?

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.

Re: Artemis tutorial?

Posted by Doug Whitfield <dw...@perforce.com>.
Thanks Justin!

What I am looking for is a start-to-finish audio or video tutorial. There are one-off’s such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FVXUvrtBr4 but the aforementioned Config Java Tech is the only full course I have found so far. There is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF1Op1ZNBAk (Linux Foundation), which is a bit longer, but it’s 5 years old and isn’t really what I’m looking for anyway.

From: Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>
Date: Monday, March 7, 2022 at 16:58
To: users@activemq.apache.org <us...@activemq.apache.org>

Re: Artemis tutorial?