Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "matt.fish@proquest.co.uk" <ma...@proquest.co.uk> on 2010/09/09 10:16:26 UTC

Name property doesn't match id or is missing

We're just upgrading from tapestry 5.1 to 5.2 and have spotted some strange
things with the name property of various components. Firstly tapestry forms
no longer include the name property at all. Other elements such as the
tapestry select component used to have matching id and name properties and
now they seems to have different values. Does anyone know if these change
are intentional and the reason behind them? Here's an example of the old
select box rendered in 5.1 and then in 5.2:

<select title="Select a day" id="select" name="select">

<select title="Select a day" id="select" name="select_0">

Re: Name property doesn't match id or is missing

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
There were a number of bugs in Tapestry where the generated names of
client-side elements matched the names of JavaScript functions
attached to the Form object (an unwanted "convenience" of the DOM is
that elements inside the Form become named properties of the Form ...
just got to love JavaScript), causing client-side exceptions. Tapestry
now reserves those names
(reset,submit,select,id,method,action,onsubmit) to prevent collisions.

This is an example of the codified experience that has accumulated in Tapestry.

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 1:16 AM, matt.fish@proquest.co.uk
<ma...@proquest.co.uk> wrote:

> We're just upgrading from tapestry 5.1 to 5.2 and have spotted some strange
> things with the name property of various components. Firstly tapestry forms
> no longer include the name property at all. Other elements such as the
> tapestry select component used to have matching id and name properties and
> now they seems to have different values. Does anyone know if these change
> are intentional and the reason behind them? Here's an example of the old
> select box rendered in 5.1 and then in 5.2:
>
> <select title="Select a day" id="select" name="select">
>
> <select title="Select a day" id="select" name="select_0">

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com