Posted to dev@ode.apache.org by Vineesh Thomas <vi...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/31 16:56:25 UTC

Quick Question - Reg timeout.

Hi All,

Can I catch a timeout exception in a <catch> tag or a <catchAll> tag so that
in case of such a scenario I could do necessary actions for that particular
request before it dies off.

e.g.
----
Say my request has lifecycle with the following conditional stages
(Stage1,Stage2,Stage3,FAIL).
If the request(in Stage2) is waiting for a response from another webservice
but it gets timed-out. In such scenario I want to update the particular
request's status in my DB as 'Fail' before the BPEL instance dies off.
----

Please do suggest if there is some workaround for this problem.

Thank you,

Vineesh.

Re: Quick Question - Reg timeout.

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:56 AM, Vineesh Thomas <vi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Can I catch a timeout exception in a <catch> tag or a <catchAll> tag so
> that
> in case of such a scenario I could do necessary actions for that particular
> request before it dies off.
>
> e.g.
> ----
> Say my request has lifecycle with the following conditional stages
> (Stage1,Stage2,Stage3,FAIL).
> If the request(in Stage2) is waiting for a response from another webservice
> but it gets timed-out. In such scenario I want to update the particular
> request's status in my DB as 'Fail' before the BPEL instance dies off.
> ----
>
> Please do suggest if there is some workaround for this problem.

A timeout is normally a failure, not a fault. But we've implemented a
mechanism to deal with failures in different ways (one of of them being
throwing a fault instead of failing). You can learn more here:

http://ode.apache.org/activity-failure-and-recovery.html

Matthieu