Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by John MccLain <jm...@tcshealthcare.com> on 2004/09/21 00:16:10 UTC

classpath with a service help

Howdy,
I wish to deploy Tomct5.0.28 along with a webapp. I want to be able to
insure that Tomcat is deployed as a service, uses the standard classpath AND
1 more classpath entry. How can I set up the Tomcat windows installer to
setup Tomcat as a service and include a specific directory on the classpath?
Do I simply change ...tomcat/bin/service.bat (is that all that the installer
runs)? if so, then how? I would prefer to not haveto have clients manually
configuring classpath's for windows services.

John McClain
Senior Software Engineer
TCS Healthcare
jmcclain@tcshealthcare.com
(530)886-1700x235
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."

Re: classpath with a service help

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.
On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 03:16:10PM -0700, John MccLain wrote:
: I wish to deploy Tomct5.0.28 along with a webapp. I want to be able to
: insure that Tomcat is deployed as a service, uses the standard classpath AND
: 1 more classpath entry. How can I set up the Tomcat windows installer to
: setup Tomcat as a service and include a specific directory on the classpath?
: Do I simply change ...tomcat/bin/service.bat (is that all that the installer
: runs)? if so, then how? I would prefer to not haveto have clients manually
: configuring classpath's for windows services.

Tomcat (and most other web containers) don't use the classpath as set as
an environment variable or on the commandline.  They use

1/ the JARs in the webapp's WEB-INF/lib and bare class files in
WEB-INF/classes

2/ some container-specific hierarchy of classloaders, usually in a
chain-of-responsibility pattern.  Tomcat uses
	{Tomcat install}/common/lib
	{Tomcat install}/common/classes
	{Tomcat install}/shared/lib
	{Tomcat install}/shared/classes
	{Tomcat install}/server/lib
	{Tomcat install}/server/classes

(though probably not in that order ;)

Long story short: if you use the container's (and the spec's) method of
making classes available, there should be no need to set a classpath.
Make your "one other entry" available in one of the places mentioned
above.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net