Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Michael Ploed <cr...@gmx.de> on 2002/10/19 12:23:01 UTC

setTargetEndpointAddress slow?

I have a problem with this piece of code using axis as a client for
webservices:
URL url = new URL("some url");
Service service = new Service();
Call call = (Call)service.createCall();
call.setTargetEndpointAddress(url);

The function setTargetEndpointAddress (last line) is very slow... it took
approx 23 seconds to completet on a high end pentium 4 system. does anybody
have a solution for speeding up this process?

thanks in forward,
michael

Re: setTargetEndpointAddress slow?

Posted by Jeff Greif <jg...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
Note: This is only a grossly speculative guess.

If you're doing this on a Windows system, particularly an older version of
Windows NT, you may have a problem with the speed of reverse DNS lookup,
arising from some aspect of the network setup.  This post (occurring in a
completely different environment) describes the problem that I've seen occur
in several other contexts:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=reverse+dns+group:comp.soft-sys.ace&hl=en&
lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=6C21B11C6CE8D111A38400A02443B2C804358D%40gus-ii.e
max.com&rnum=1

Unfortunately, the thread from which this came did not have the solution to
the setup problem, only the workaround of putting the hostname in question
in your hosts file.  If doing this fixes the problem, then you'll have to do
some research on the network setup issues.

The hosts file in question on Win32 is C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS
(on Windows 2000).

Jeff