Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com> on 2000/06/02 07:14:25 UTC

Re: character escaping in SQL results

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Gerke Preussner wrote:

> hi list members,
>

> im reading data from a database and some fields contain
> HTML code im trying to send to the client. it seems like
> the SQL processor is converting all special characters
> to entities (e.g. '<' and '&' to '&lt;' and '&amp;')
>
> because the SQL results in the query tagset are already
> converted i cant use 'disable-output-escaping' :)
>
> i dont want to display the HTML code in the client's
> browser but to include it in the generated HTML code.
>
> how can i do that?

Suggest you modify the processor or the taglib to have the column's value
parsed by OpenXML's HTML parser (is that ever going to make it into
Xerces?) and append that document to the current element instead of just
appending the column's value as a string. I don't have time to mess with
that right now, sorry. I'll be happy to take a patch, it should be pretty
straightforward - see XMLForm if you really need help parsing HTML.
OpenXML parses some pretty bad HTML well.

- donald