Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2019/08/14 03:13:03 UTC

Due-to in changes.xml

Gary,

I am wondering why you have recently gotten in the habit of adding yourself to the due-to field of changes.xml. Historically we have always used that to give credit to non-committers who provide patches or significantly contribute to them.  As committers we get credit in the source control and in the dev field of the action entry. It seems over the top to be giving ourselves credit that way and, in fact, takes away from the contributions we receive from non-committers as every single change is due to one of us, even if all we do is commit the patch.

If we need to vote on this I would vote that committers names should never appear in the due-to field.

Ralph

Re: Due-to in changes.xml

Posted by Apache <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
As I said, no one with commit privs should appear in the due-to. Ever. They already appear in the by column and in git. It diminishes the thanks we give to contributors to add ourselves, so I would request you please stop doing that, frankly I am not sure why you started as I don’t recall seeing you do that until recently.

Ralph

Re: Due-to in changes.xml

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Due-to in changes.xml

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Agreed. But in those cases the dev field would not be them.

Ralph

Re: Due-to in changes.xml

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--