Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ryan Connolly <ry...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/11 21:56:03 UTC

tomcat-m-p war dependency

Hi:
      Does anyone happen to know whether it is possible to configure
tomcat:run to deploy a defined war dependency as well as run the current
project as a dynamic web app in the embedded container?  I've tried setting
the <addContextWarDependencies>true</addContextWarDependencies>
configuration option and have declared a war dependency in the tomcat-m-p
but the dependency does not appear to deploy to the embedded container.  Has
anyone else tried a similar configuration?  Any advice would be appreciated.
 An example of what I thought might work follows:

      <plugin>
        <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
        <artifactId>tomcat-maven-plugin</artifactId>
        <version>1.1</version>
        <configuration>
          <addContextWarDependencies>true</addContextWarDependencies>
        </configuration>
        <dependencies>
          <dependency>
            <groupId>com.mycompany</groupId>
            <artifactId>war-artifactid</artifactId>
            <version>1.0</version>
            <type>war</type>
          </dependency>
        </dependencies>
      </plugin>

Thanks,
-Ryan

Re: tomcat-m-p war dependency

Posted by Ryan Connolly <ry...@gmail.com>.
Anders:  Being a contributor this had already occurred to me but I was
hoping for an embedded Tomcat 6 (which doesn't appear to be supported
currently) that would run a war dependency alongside the current war project
for rapid development.  I may come back to Cargo for this yet but I thought
I would try tomcat-m-p first.

Thanks for the suggestion.

-Ryan

Re: tomcat-m-p war dependency

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Re: tomcat-m-p war dependency

Posted by Ryan Connolly <ry...@gmail.com>.
Olivier,
  Not sure if you are being alerted of comments on the JIRA or not but in
case you are not I've commented in more detail there.  Thanks for taking a
look!
-Ryan

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MTOMCAT-74

>> Please do take a peek at it.  It would be great to see this in 1.2 if at
all
>> possible!
>>
>> -Ryan
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 5:27 PM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Patchs are always welcome :-)

 Would

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-dependency-plugin/examples/copying-artifacts.html

Re: tomcat-m-p war dependency

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hello,

Re: tomcat-m-p war dependency

Posted by Ryan Connolly <ry...@gmail.com>.

Re: tomcat-m-p war dependency

Posted by Ryan Connolly <ry...@gmail.com>.
Olivier,
     I just took a quick look at the current 1.2-SNAPSHOT and it would
appear that most of the work for this indeed has already been done.
 Referring to AbstractRunMojo#createDependencyContexts it seems that there
are a couple of things preventing the configuration I sent in my first post
from actually deploying the war dependency.

   - Set<Artifact> artifacts = project.getArtifacts();
      - The war must be declared as a dependency in the project's
      dependencies element and does not account for plugin dependencies.

      - if ( "war".equals( artifact.getType() ) && !artifact.isOptional() &&
   filter.include( artifact ) )
      - The ScopeArtifactFilter#include call in this line always returns
      false so no artifact will ever be deployed.

I guess what I'd like to know is, would it be OK to change this to also look
at the plugin dependencies and to fix the ScopeArtifactFilter or would you
prefer I create a brand new method for pluginDependencies that does
essentially the same thing as the createDependencyContexts method that looks
only at project dependencies?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Re: tomcat-m-p war dependency

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.