Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Muhammad Gelbana <m....@gmail.com> on 2017/12/12 17:46:52 UTC

Calcite documentations on supporting DML statements

This page <https://calcite.apache.org/avatica/docs/roadmap.html> says that
DML statements aren't supported. While this page
<https://calcite.apache.org/news/2017/01/09/release-1.11.0/> says it can
push down DML actions.

What exactly does the first page mean by that DMLs aren't supported ? Is it
referring to parsing or pushing-down DML statements ?

Thanks,
Gelbana

Re: Calcite documentations on supporting DML statements

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
Calcite and Avatica are independent sub-projects these days (albeit both governed by the Calcite PMC). And Avatica works with databases besides Calcite. So it’s entirely possible that there are features in Calcite not supported by Avatica, and vice versa.

That said, I think the Avatica roadmap is out of date. Avatica has supported DML (and DDL) for some time. See for example https://github.com/apache/calcite-avatica/commit/0ea085b7 <https://github.com/apache/calcite-avatica/commit/0ea085b7>.

Julian