Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org> on 2004/03/31 13:02:50 UTC

GzipInputFilter in Coyote/HTTP11

I'm playing with compression actually and I see that we don't have
GzipInputFilter.

Apache 2.0 mod_deflate has support for it and it could be usefull.

Re: GzipInputFilter in Coyote/HTTP11

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Henri Gomez wrote:
>
>> I'm playing with compression actually and I see that we don't have
>> GzipInputFilter.
>>
>> Apache 2.0 mod_deflate has support for it and it could be usefull.
>

> It's a rather specific need, but if you can add it why not.
> (and the issue is the same as the output: to make it efficient, we would
> need a "straight" recyclable array based deflate implementation)

Well I see that support has been present and removed.

You could see in mod_deflate that GZIP input should be activated only if
Content-Encoding contains gzip.

mod_deflate also check for the 2 first bytes to contains magic, ie,
1F 8B and very that fourth byte is 00.

if deflate didn't find these, it consider the input is not compressed.

Regards

Re: GzipInputFilter in Coyote/HTTP11

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Henri Gomez wrote:
> I'm playing with compression actually and I see that we don't have
> GzipInputFilter.
>
> Apache 2.0 mod_deflate has support for it and it could be usefull.

It's a rather specific need, but if you can add it why not.
(and the issue is the same as the output: to make it efficient, we would
need a "straight" recyclable array based deflate implementation)

Rémy