Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Ernest Allen <ea...@redhat.com> on 2016/08/17 17:11:32 UTC

Using symlinks in the qpid dispatch router console

Here is the situation:

qpid-dispatch/
    console/
        stand-alone/
        hawtio/

Basically the stand-alone and hawtio versions of the qpid dispatch router use several of the same (html, js, css) files.

I see some possibile scenarios:
1) Store duplicate versions of the files in the stand-alone/ and hawtio/ directories.
Not ideal from a development/maintenance perspective.

2) Store the common files in a qpid-dispatch/console/common/ directory and use releative references in the stand-alone and hawtio code.
This prevents a user from copying the stand-alone/ directory into a web server since they would also need the common/ dir. Also, this complicates the hawtio pom.xml file greatly since some of the source would be under hawtio/ and some would be under ../common/.

3) Store the actual files in the stand-alone/ directory and use relative references in the hawtio build.
This still has the problem of complicating the hawtio build greatly.

4) Store the actual files in the stand-alone/ directory and use symlinks in the hawtio directory.
This solves both problems. Hawtio builds just fine with symlinks and the stand-alone/ directory can be copied because it actually contains the files.

So, is using symlinks in this manner acceptable?

Thanks,
-Ernie

Re: Using symlinks in the qpid dispatch router console

Posted by Ernest Allen <ea...@redhat.com>.
Thanks Chuck. I went ahead and checked in the symlinks.

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On Wed, 2016-08-17 at 13:11 -0400, Ernest Allen wrote:

> Here is the situation:
>
> qpid-dispatch/
> ����console/
> ��������stand-alone/
> ��������hawtio/
>
> Basically the stand-alone and hawtio versions of the qpid dispatch
> router use several of the same (html, js, css) files.
>
> I see some possibile scenarios:
> 1) Store duplicate versions of the files in the stand-alone/ and
> hawtio/ directories.
> Not ideal from a development/maintenance perspective.
>
> 2) Store the common files in a qpid-dispatch/console/common/
> directory and use releative references in the stand-alone and hawtio
> code.
> This prevents a user from copying the stand-alone/ directory into a
> web server since they would also need the common/ dir. Also, this
> complicates the hawtio pom.xml file greatly since some of the source
> would be under hawtio/ and some would be under ../common/.
>
> 3) Store the actual files in the stand-alone/ directory and use
> relative references in the hawtio build.�
> This still has the problem of complicating the hawtio build greatly.
>
> 4) Store the actual files in the stand-alone/ directory and use
> symlinks in the hawtio directory.
> This solves both problems. Hawtio builds just fine with symlinks and
> the stand-alone/ directory can be copied because it actually contains
> the files.
>
> So, is using symlinks in this manner acceptable?

I would say this is OK. I caused trouble before by putting directory
symlinks in the root of the repo, but local links like you are propsing
that are only seen by console code shouldn't cause trouble (famous last
words)�