Posted to user@pig.apache.org by de...@wipro.com on 2011/04/05 15:14:16 UTC

Geographically Distributed Hadoop Cluster

I wish to have a Hadoop cluster with DR (Disaster Recovery), for which I need to have the data backup at a geographically different location. (if there's an eqrthquake or tsunami that hits one location).

I was thinking along these lines - Make Hadoop rack-aware, set a replication factor of 4, and have geographically separated nodes under a single Hadoop namespace, and make sure that atleast one replica gets copied to the other data centre. Basically, I want to have an Active-Active kind of a setup. Is this a feasible idea? If not, why?

Assume that bandwidth is not a limitation - I can have unlimited bandwidth - DR is the primary concern - data just cannot be lost.

If this idea is not good, what is the best way to have an Active-Active DR Hadoop setup?

This question may not be PIG related, but I thought folks here can suggest some good ideas. I am posting the same question on the Hadoop General mailing list also.

www.wipro.com

Re: Geographically Distributed Hadoop Cluster

Posted by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com>.
Same thing as Yahoo does.

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com>.