Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com> on 2001/11/22 01:17:55 UTC

Subversion Logo

I remember a while ago there was a discussion about the need for a
Subversion logo and icon. As I recall, the Chinese character icon that was
decided upon was denounced, but left in to act as a placeholder for the
time being.

Well, I don't have a replacement to offer but I did make a discovery I
thought was interesting: if you do a search on Subversion in Google images
you get a lot of subversive material images, which probably won't work very
well, but you also get a picture of a unique-looking submarine called
"Subversion" which took part in the First International Submarine Race.

You can see the sub here
http://www.tntech.edu/www/life/orgs/sub/races/1stISR/subversion1a3.gif and
the (lack of) specs for it here
http://www.tntech.edu/www/life/orgs/sub/races/1stISR/subversion1.html.
About the only thing they appear to know about it is that it was built by
California Polytechnic, I'm guessing by their Human Powered Submarine Project.

I think that some simplified image of this sub or something similar would
make an interesting logo/icon. And if someone knows anything about this sub
or knows someone who might (6 degrees and all that), perhaps we could even
get an image from the original design.

Just a thought.

Re: Subversion Logo

Posted by Kevin Pilch-Bisson <ke...@pilch-bisson.net>.
On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 05:17:55PM -0800, Bruce Atherton wrote:

> You can see the sub here
> http://www.tntech.edu/www/life/orgs/sub/races/1stISR/subversion1a3.gif and
> the (lack of) specs for it here
> http://www.tntech.edu/www/life/orgs/sub/races/1stISR/subversion1.html.
LOL about those detailed specs.

Kevin Pilch-Bisson                    http://www.pilch-bisson.net
     "Historically speaking, the presences of wheels in Unix
     has never precluded their reinvention." - Larry Wall

Re: Subversion Logo

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com> writes:
> Well, I don't have a replacement to offer but I did make a discovery I
> thought was interesting: if you do a search on Subversion in Google
> images you get a lot of subversive material images, which probably
> won't work very well, but you also get a picture of a unique-looking
> submarine called "Subversion" which took part in the First
> International Submarine Race.
>
> You can see the sub here
> http://www.tntech.edu/www/life/orgs/sub/races/1stISR/subversion1a3.gif
> and the (lack of) specs for it here
> http://www.tntech.edu/www/life/orgs/sub/races/1stISR/subversion1.html. About
> the only thing they appear to know about it is that it was built by
> California Polytechnic, I'm guessing by their Human Powered Submarine
> Project.
>
> I think that some simplified image of this sub or something similar
> would make an interesting logo/icon. And if someone knows anything
> about this sub or knows someone who might (6 degrees and all that),
> perhaps we could even get an image from the original design.
>
> Just a thought.

Heh, nice pictures.

I don't know about using that specific project's image (after all, it
is a separate project, wouldn't want to take their identity), but
really like the idea of a submarine logo!  Nice complement to the old
CVS fish logo.  Maybe we should just make a sub logo out of whole
cloth... anyone care to try?

-K

Re: Subversion Logo

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com> writes:

> Well, I don't have a replacement to offer but I did make a discovery
> I thought was interesting: if you do a search on Subversion in
> Google images you get a lot of subversive material images, which
> probably won't work very well,

Been there, done that, didn't care for what I found...

> but you also get a picture of a unique-looking submarine called
> "Subversion" which took part in the First International Submarine
> Race.

but then...I didn't find this one!  Cool concept.