Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/24 09:46:00 UTC

Will JSR-88 still be supported in Geronimo 3.0 ?

Currently, JSR-88 implementation are widely used by geronimo console and
shell.  But, JSR-88 is not a part of Java EE 6 spec anymore, Will JSR-88
still be supported in Geronimo 3.0 ?

Or we can replace JSR-88 with more elegant implementation to remove the
extra abstract in JSR-88 ?

--
Shawn

Re: Will JSR-88 still be supported in Geronimo 3.0 ?

Posted by Jack Cai <gr...@gmail.com>.
I think JSR88 is only made optional. So it's not bad to keep it. I agree
with David that we can focus our effort on other things first.

-Jack

Posted by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 3:14 AM, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> On Nov 24, 2009, at 12:46 AM, Shawn Jiang wrote:
>
>  Currently, JSR-88 implementation are widely used by geronimo console and
>> shell.  But, JSR-88 is not a part of Java EE 6 spec anymore, Will JSR-88
>> still be supported in Geronimo 3.0 ?
>>
>> Or we can replace JSR-88 with more elegant implementation to remove the
>> extra abstract in JSR-88 ?
>>

> There are 2 parts to jsr-88, at least in my thinking
>
> - remote deploy capabilities.  This is useful and I think the design is
> adequate although not optimal.  I don't consider redesigning this a high
> priority but if you have some ideas and some time I'd like to know more.  I
> wouldn't mind keeping jsr-88 compatibility but this is not really essential.

I don't have new ideas on this for now.   I'm asking this because I want to
know if it's OK for us to continue call JSR-88 API when migrating the deploy
shell commands.

> - vendor plan model (dconfigBeans).  These are pretty weird and useless but
> we are using them in at least the database portlets to generate plans.
>  Replacing all of our plan stuff with jaxb should let us replace this too.
>  I hope we can get this done for g 3.0 but its not currently my top
> priority.
>
> Unless redesigning the jsr-88 stuff will make reimplementing in gogo a lot
> easier I'd be tempted to concentrate on getting the existing server to work
> with little redesign.

Thanks !

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.